ALDER RIVER, Guysborough County1This settlement is located about two miles north of Fitsgerald Lake, north of the Guysborough River, in eastern Nova Scotia. Its name was prompted by two prominent natural features: alders, a type of bush, and a river, actually a small stream. In 1812, one thousand acres were granted to John F. T. Gschwindt and Mrs. Isabella Ellis. The Anglican Church received a grant in 1813 for the support and maintenance of a Dean and Chapter. Parts of this were reconveyed to the Crown by Antigonish County in 1940 by Arnold Hudson in 1952, by the Canadian Lumber Company in 1957 and by the Anglican Church in 1959. Nicholas Dobbin and Thomas Cassady received grants here in 1814.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
APAGWIT, Guysborough County2A small island in the Gut of Canso. An Indian word meaning "moored in shelter" or "sheltered by the encircling shore." (This, or "Abagwit" was the original Indian name for Prince Edward Island).Note: The only island in Canso Strait (Gut of Canso) is Susies Island.
ARCHIBALDS MILL, Guysborough County by Charlene Archibald Archibald's Mill was started in 1860, by Henry Clayton Archibald. Guysborough County Shingle And Sawmill was the basis of what is known since 1949 as F. Archibald And Sons Sawmill. This water powered saw mill is located at Archibalds Mill Rd, Denver Guysborough Co. NS. Powered today by a water turbine, the mill saws softwood logs into all sizes of lumber. A flood in 1971 destroyed the dam and mill pond. It was rebuilt in the 1980's. The mill was powered by diesel for about 10 years until the waterwheel and dam were repaired. It is still operational today however it is used only and not often due to aging operators (Eldon 82(my father) and Ray 81, (which are great grandsons of Henry Clayton Archibald)). The planer mill burned in 2012 and has not been replaced. The mill is supplied by water from Mitchell's Lake, more recently know as Archibald's Mill Lake, a dammed lake about 1.5 kilometers upstream. The Mitchells, early settlers of the area first dammed the lake for their use.
ARGYLE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located about a mile south of South River Lake, near the Antigonish-Guysborough line in eastern Nova Scotia. This name is of Scottish origin and was given to the settlement by Duncan McIntosh who came from Scotland in 1843 with four sons and three daughters. The land was granted to Anthony Lockwood, the Government surveyor and cartographer, who asked for land to settle on after his duties were ended and to John Adam Biswanger, who had been forced off the land on which he was established and who wished to obtain another grant.A school-house was built probably before 1865. Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
ASPEN, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the east branch of St. Mary's River. It was probably so named because of an abundance of that type of tree in the area. Richard Bradford of Country Harbour received a four hundred acre grant in this area in 1815. Much of the village site was part of a 1765 grant made to Rev. James Lyons and others.Matthew McLaughlan was schoolmaster at "East Branch of St. Mary's River" in 1834. A new school-house was completed in 1903. A Federal Post Office was completed June 18, 1964.Lumbering and limited farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 138. Formerly called East Branch St Marys River
AULDS COVE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the west side of the Strait of Canso, just south of the Antigonish-Guysborough County line, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably named after Alexander Auld who was an early settler and had grist and saw mills here prior to 1833. On a September 1821 map the cove was called "Porcupine Cove." In May, 1791, one thousand acres of land were surveyed for John O'Brien and five members of the Frost family. The southern boundary was on "Mill Brook" which may indicate that a mill had been erected by that date. A Mr. Barry had constructed saw, grist and carding mills here by 1834.A new school-house was erected in 1929-30.Postal way offices were established at "Aulds" about 1841 and in 1847. A way office was established in Forristalls store in 1852, which went under the names: Gut of Canso, Forristalls, and Forristalls Gut.Hugh McMillan established a ferry service between Aulds Cove and Point LeCroix about 1852-53. Preliminary work was begun on the Canso causeway in June, 1952. The last load of fill was dumped into the strait on December 10, 1954. The first passenger train crossed the causeway on May 14, 1955, and on August 13, 1955 the causeway was completed.Fishing and farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 119.Auld Cove, Guysborough2First settled about the year 1785. It is named after one of its first settlers, a Mr. Alexander Auld. Also called Porcupine Cove.
This rural settlement no longer exists. SETTLEMENT OF BANTRY By A.C. Jost, Guysboro IV (written In The Early 1900s) The old Halifax Road leading through Stormont was settled almost through out its full extent, the settlement being called Bantry, after the place of birth of Patrick Hurley, originally born in Bantry Bay, said to have been a deserter from the Navy, and who made his home in that district. The farms in their order coming eastward from Hurley’s, beyond which they were included in the Country Harbour lands were as follows: 1) Patrick Malay. He lived at the west end of Hurley’s Lake, on lands now owned by the Sutherlands. The Malays of the western part of the County are said to have been descended from this man. 2) Pembroke. Members of this family are still living in the County, in Canso. 3) Patrick Hurley. Mosher on the Country Harbour road married a daughter of this man. 4) John Lyons. (Black.) He married a Hurley, the family eventually moving to the States. 5) John Lyons. (Red.) No relation to the above. Some of the members of this family live in the western end of the county. 6) (Mansfield and McKinnon for a time occupied a farm between those occupied by the two John Lyons.)
7) Richard Cody. 8) MacAllister, father of William and John occupied the next place for a time, though he soon moved to his present place on the Salmon River. 9) Richard White, father of the Richard White of Erinville occupied the next farm. 10) Edward O’Neale, father of Thomas O’Neale occupied the next farm. The house in which Thomas lives at present is on the other end of the same property as that on which Edward O’Neale lived. 11) James Barry occupied the next place. He was the grandfather of the present priest Barry, his family having moved to the Riverside. 12) James Sullivan, the painter, was the next place. Sullivan came from Halifax where he had been a painter in the dock yard. The families of Sullivans in Manchester and New Glasgow are descendants of this man. 13) Thomas Costley occupied the next place. He is said to have come direct from Ireland. No family of this man. 14) Elias Cooke occupied the next farm but after a time he moved to Roachville, occupying and dying on the farm now owned by Charles Cunningham. 15) Gideon Cooke owned the next farm. The hill called Gideon’s Hill took its name from this man. 16) Luke Shaughnessy, or as he insisted on being called, especially when in a convivial mood as the custom of the times permitted, O’Shaughnessy, came next. 17) John Ryan lived on the next place. Members of this family are still living. One daughter married a Rogers, another Larry Foley. 18) Richard Baldwin. This family afterwards moved to the States. These in the order above given occupied the district about as far east as up to the Burns farm. The community was for a time a fairly prosperous one, but the opening of the present road sounded the death knell of the settlement, the settlers gradually being moved away to other points. There was a comfortable little church for many years, of which now no vestige remains. Forty or fifty persons were buried in the old graveyard, now grown up in forest. Roach, who married [?], is among the number. The last person to be buried there was Richard Mansfield. One of his particular friends and cronies predeceased him and buried in that place, and on Mansfield’s deathbed, he wished to be placed near his old friend. The Rogers moved to their locations from Roman Valley. Peter Shaughnessy is said to have been a nephew of Luke Shaughnessy. The Shaughnessy clearing is now almost the only clearing to be seen on the old Bantry road, all the rest of the farms, long ago abandoned, being now grown up in woods. ANTIGONISH-DRUM HEAD HIGHWAY, ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESOURCE IMPACT ASSESSMENT, 2005 "At Salmon River Lake, a large community then known as Bantry, existed including a church, post office, and saw mill."
BIRCHTOWN, Guysborough County1This settlement is located about four miles north east of Guysborough Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. In the early days it was a colored community near the loyalist settlement of Manchester. The land was granted to Jairus Hart, Samuel Hull (Hall) and Andrew Leet in July, 1803. Samuel Hull sold part of his lot to Kenneth Jamison on April 9, 1804. He made improvements and constructed buildings, then sold the land to Thomas Cutler on October 10, 1826.A school was erected in the colored settlement of Manchester in 1873. The school-house in Birchtown was condemned in 1888. In 1936 school was conducted in a mission church.Lumbering and limited farming are the basic industries.
BORNEO, Guysborough County1This settlement is located about a mile south of County Harbour Lake in eastern Nova Scotia. It was probably named after the county of that name in Indonesia. In the 1870's three families were named Mason and Lansillard. The land was part of the Country Harbour Grant and the settlement was an offshoot of Cross Roads, Country Harbour.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
BOYLSTON, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the east side of Guysborough harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after Nicholas Boyleston, brother-in-law of Benjamin Hallowell who was granted this township in 1765. In 1874 the name was revived and given to the village growing upon the site of the old town. Settlement was begun by Loyalists from New England about 1786.St. Paul's Anglican Church built in 1846 was burned in 1897. The new St. Paul's was opened November 9, 1897. The early Baptist church was burned in 1864 and a new Church was built in a more local situation. A congregational church may have been built soon after the first settlement and destroyed in the 1811 gale. A Methodist Church was built in 1847.A school was established in 1812 and a school-house was built by March, 1814. A school-house burned down in 1885 and a new building was under construction in 1887. A new two-room school was completed for use in January, 1949.Chedabucto Curling Rink was opened February 10, 1965. A Federal Post Office was completed June 10, 1965.Fishing and farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 135.BOYLSTON Guysborough County2This place was settled and laid out into lots in the year 1786, by the Loyalist settlers, who were settled on the Hallowell Grant of Milford Haven History of Boylston.
CALEDONIA, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the upper reaches of West River, St. Mary's near the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. This name originated in Scotland as the name given to the southern part of that country by the Romans. It was given to this settlement by the first Scottish inhabitants.Angus McDonald was among the earliest settlers to arrive in 1810. In November, 1813, two hundred and fifty acres were surveyed for John McKeen who had settled on the land already. James Widden was settled on the adjacent lot at that time. John Hattie came to New Caledonia about 1814 and purchased four hundred acres of land. By March, 1814, Miles Mclnnes and John and Alexander Barkley were settled here and by August, 1814, John and Neil McQuarry had their five hundred acre lots surveyed on which they had already settled. John Hattie erected a grist mill about October, 1842.William McLane and William McLain, Jr., were teachers in the settlement in 1846. A new school was built about 1870. Part of the present Caledonia was once called "Wallace Bridge." School-houses were built there in 1866 and in 1887. A meeting house was built "in the Upper Settlement of St. Mary's" about ten to sixteen miles from the Church at the Cross Roads in 1849.A Postal Way Office was established at Lower and Middle Caledonia in January, 1888.Farming and lumbering are them basic industries. Population in 1956 was 76. Formerly call Wallace Bridge.
CANSO, Guysborough County1This town is located on Canso Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. Its name is probably a variation of the Indian name, Kamsok, "opposite a high bluff. or high banks opposite." Another explanation is that it was derived, from the Spanish word "Ganso," a goose, applied because of the large flocks of wild geese here in the Spring.French fishermen may have pursued their occupation in these waters as early as 1504. The Baron De Lery left France in 1518 intending to make a settlement in Acadia. He landed here and drew a map of the harbour, then when the weather turned cold he left some cattle and departed for home. In 1604, Captains du Pont and Morel, members of DeMont's expedition discovered four Basque ships bartering with the natives when. they landed here. Some of Poutrincourt" s men landed at Canso in July, 1606, to take on wood and water. In the 1600's the French used it as a base for fishing operations. On August 17, 1720, an Indian raid left four Englishmen dead and the stores plundered. A company of troops under the command of Major Lawrence Armstrong was sent from Annapolis Royal to Canso in November, 1720. By August, 1721 a few inhabitants had settled on a nearby eminence. Another Indian outbreak occurred on July, 14, 1721. and six people were killed. Forty-nine families were settled here by September 5, 1725. By October, 1729, fifteen hundred to two thousand hands were employed in curing and loading fish for several markets. A blockhouse was built on Canso Hill by Edward How in 1735. This, along with several houses, a store, three wharves, store rooms, and fish rooms, was destroyed by a French invasion in 1744. In April, 1745, the fleet from New England on its way to attack Louisburg, assembled in the harbour and a blockhouse was built by the men. It was mostly completed by April 10 and was named Fort Prince William in honor of the Prince. In July, 1764, a town plot was laid out south of the present town and named "Wilmot," in honor of Col. Montague Wilmot. During the American Revolution, privateers did considerable damage to the settlement and by January, 1813, there were only six families in residence. In 1814 a few families arrived and located at the Tickle. The Wilmot town plot remained almost a wilderness until 1821 when a few houses and stores began to be erected within it. By 1844 there were two hundred and fifty families resident in Wilmot townships.All Saints Anglican Church was erected on the road to Hazel Hill in 1884-85, opened December 25, 1885, and consecrated May 20, 1889. A Baptist church was built in 1841 and replaced by a new church building in the late 1880's. Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church was begun in December, 1885, formally opened September 6, 1891. It replaced a chapel which had been erected m the 1840's and which had been blown off its foundations in the great storm of 1873. A congregational meeting house was completed in 1824. A Methodist Church was built in 1851, dedicated August 15, 1852.1 A new Methodist Church was dedicated June 12, 1890. It became St. Paul's United.Mr. Peden was appointed S. P. G. schoolmaster here in 1736 and taught until 1743. A public school-house was put up m 1847. New school-houses were erected at Cape Canso in 1866 and 1878. The school-house at the Tickle burned down on February 6, 1944, and the new school built to replace it was opened the following February. A new ten room school at Canso was occupied on January 22, 1951, officially opened January 18, 1952.A postal way office was established in 1834. In 1853 a Post Office was set up. A brick post office and customs house was built prior to 1926. Eastern Memorial hospital was opened May 24, 1948.A lighthouse was built on Cranberry Island in 1817-1818.It burned down in October, 1881, and was replaced by a new lighthouse by December, 1883. A small lighthouse was placed on Harts Island in 1872. Herperius Temperance Hall was still being constructed in 1877.Between 1881 and 1894 several transatlantic cables were landed here and Canso became one of the main communications links between North America and Europe.The Canso Breeze was begun in the mid-eighteen nineties and underwent several changes of name: Breeze and Antigonish-Guysborough County Advocate, Breeze and Guysboro County Advocate, Guysborough County Advocate and Canso Breeze, Guysborough. Times and Canso News.In 1835 a riot between Irish Catholics and Orangemen upset the peace of the village. The great storm of 1873 demolished many wharves and stores, Wilmot Hall, a Baptist Church on the road to Crow Harbour and many vessels. It lifted the Catholic Church off its foundations. Canso was incorporated as a town in May, 1901.Fishing is the main industry. An ice merchandising business was begun by James Hart in 1867. Soon after a lobster canning factory was established under the management of Elfred Ogden. The A. N. Whitman frozen bait storage plant was built about 1903-1905. In 1910 the Whitman Fish Company sold out to Maritime Fish Corporation. The Robinson glue factory was erected in 1910. British Columbia Packers Ltd. Plant was purchased by Acadia Fishers Ltd. In 1963. In August, 1965, construction was nearly completed on the first section of the new Acadia Fisheries plant. The plant burned down on February 22, 1966.Population in 1961 was 1151.
CANSO, Guysborough County2Some authorities say this word was derived from the name of a French navigator, Canse, and "eau" (water). Others say that the French spelling "Campseau" suggests that the Harbour was so called because it was a common rendezvous for vessels. Haliburton says: "It is said that the derivation of the word "Canso" is from the Spanish "Ganso" a goose, a name given to it on account of the immense flocks of geese then seen there." Dr Rand states it is from the Indian word "Kamsok," meaning "opposite the lofty cliffs." This would appear to be the proper derivation of the name as the Indians called White Head nearby "Kamsokootc" meaning "the little place opposite the lofty cliffs."In 1765 the town was known as Wilmot Town, so named in honor of Montague Wilmot, Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia at that time.The strait was at one time called "straits of Fronsac" also at one time called by the French "Passage du Glas."Canso Township was one of the four sub-divisions of the northwestern part of Cape Breton Island, formed in 1828.The Micmac Indians sometimes applied the name "Taooogunak" to the Gut of Canso. This name appears to particularly apply to the passage, and it is the general Micmac word for any passage.
CHARLOS COVE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the north side of Tor Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after one of its first settlers, Charles Richard. Joseph Richards and Oliver Fleming settled here about 1799. A survey dated May 20, 1800, shows houses or buildings belonging to John Evory (Avory or Avery), Oliver Fleming and Joseph Rushaw (Richards) on ungranted land. In 1809 a survey of land was made for Joseph · Richards senior, Oliver Fleming, Joseph Richards, junior and the heirs of John Avery.St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church was built in 1876. A school-house was built in 1879. A new two-room school was built in 1920.Henry Lyndon was postmaster of the way office established July 1, 1869.Fishing is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 243.Also see: The Acadians Of Tor Bay, Guysborough County
CHEDABUCTO BAY, Guysborough County2 This name is a corruption of the Micmac Indian name "sedabiooktook", meaning "running far back." It forms part of the separating waters between Cape Breton and Nova Scotia.
CLINTON, Guysborough County1This settlement is situated about two miles north-east of Clam Harbour Lake, west of the Strait of Canso, in eastern Nova Scotia. It was probably named in honor of Sir Henry Clinton, Commander in Chief of British forces in North America, 1778-1782. The grantees who received lots of land here were:Thomas Scranton and Joseph and Robart Hart in 1859; Thomas Bruce, John Callahan. and Alexander Callahan in 1860; John McPherson in 1861; Christopher Jost in 1864: and William O'Brien and John Phelan in 1865.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
COCHRAN HILL MINE, Guysborough County1Cochran Hill Mine and Crow's Nest are names belonging to old gold mining areas just south of the forks of St. Mary's River in eastern Nova Scotia. Cochran Hill was probably named after an early explorer. The Crows Nest was probably so named because the view from the two hundred foot hill reminded the discoverers of the view from the "crows nest" or lookout of a ship.Gold was discovered at Cochran Hill in 1868 and at Crows Nest in 1878. Mining was carried on into the first few decades of the 20th century. Except for the mining companies and their personnel little settlement was ever attempted in the area. Gold production for the period of 1877 to 1982 is reported3 to be 2,081.3 oz.
CODDLE HARBOUR, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the north side of Coddle Harbour and between Country Harbour and New Harbour Cove. It was probably named after early settlers, the name being given before 1807. Lots of land were granted to four members of the Sponagle family in 1888 and 1908.New school-houses were built in 1867 and in 1878. A post office was established June 1, 1884.Fishing is the basic industry. Population in 1956 was 61.
COLE HARBOUR, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the north side of Tor Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It may have been named after an early settler or after a Captain Cole, whose sloop the William was captured by a Spanish privateer in or near Canso in 1719. The harbour was known to DesBarres as Durham Inlet. The earliest grantees were, Jasper Grover in 1856, William Myers, Sr. in 1859, James Munroe in 1860, and George Tanner in 1865. Mr. Tanner reputedly came here from Lunenburg in 1817.St. Bartholomews Anglican Church was consecrated August 24, 1892. A school-house was built in 1874. George Jamison was postmaster of the way office established October 1, 1869.Fishing is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 78.
COOKS COVE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the north side of the mouth of the Salmon River at the head of Chedabucto Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name was probably Anesaak, "a solitary rock." The name Cooks Cove was given for early settlers, John and Elias Cook who may have been settled here as early as 1768. Grants were issued to these and seven other families in 1787.A Methodist Church was erected about 1819 and a Baptist Church was opened December 20, 1857.A school-house was built about 1867. Fishing is the basic industry. Population in 1956 was 105.
COOK COVE2Named after a family of Loyalists who settled at this cove in the year 1772. The Cooks like all other Loyalists would not take up arms against England and came to Nova Scotia to settle.
COUNTRY HARBOUR, Guysborough County1The four settlements which share various forms of this name are located along Country Harbour River on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name was Moolaboogwek, "deeply gullied out." Country Harbour is largely a descriptive name. An early name used for the harbour area was "Macoudom" or "Moukodome." "Green Harbour" was another name used for a long time until it was done away with in 1914 to avoid confusion with Green Harbour, Shelburne County. "Franklin Harbour"" was another early name.Settlement was begun in December, 1783, when the ship Nymph arrived with about three hundred disbanded soldiers from the North Carolina Regiment. In 1784 they laid out a town plot and named it "Stormont." After a fierce storm in 1811, many of these people departed. By 1818 only two or three settlers remained there, sixteen families were seated on the sides of the harbour and a Mr. Mason lived about four miles above navigable water with a large family. In 1827 two families were settled near Country Harbour River on the main road to Guysborough and a single man was settled about two miles from the river towards St. Mary's River.A small Anglican Church was being built in 1834. Holy Trinity Anglican Church was consecrated in July, 1843. Zion United Church at Cross Roads Country Harbour was built by the Presbyterians in 1877-78 and opened December 25, 1878. A Methodist Church built at Cross Roads Country Harbour was dedicated March 18, 1894.A school-house had been built by December, 1817, and Benjamin Johnston was schoolmaster. In 1822 a small building to be used for school and worship was in progress. A new school was built in 1867. A new school was erected at Cross Roads country Harbour in 1946.Way Offices were established at Country Harbour about 1840 and at Cross Roads Country Harbour about 1841. In February, 1966, a community library was set up in the Co-op Hall by the Women's Institute.Lumbering is the main industry. Gold was discovered near the Harbour head in 1861.Population in 1956 was: Country Harbour Mines, 234; Cross Roads Country Harbour, 232; Middle Country Harbour, 75.
COUNTRY HARBOR, Guysborough County2At one time this place was called "Mocoudom," or "Moukodome." The Indian name for it was "Moolaboogwek" meaning "gullied and deep." First settled in the year 1783, by men of the Royal North and South Carolina Regiments, and Carolina Rangers. It was for a long time known as "Green Harbor." Changed to its present name in 1914, to avoid duplication of the name "Green."