SALMON RIVER LAKE, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located on the north east side of a lake of the same name in eastern Nova Scotia. The river, lake and settlement were probably so named because salmon frequented the river as a spawning ground. Irish families from Newfoundland formed settlements here about 1815. Robert Kenny took up residence in the vicinity of Salmon River Lakes in 1817. In 1857 the chief residents at "Salmon River" were John and George Shea and John McDonald. St. Thomas Roman Catholic Church was built about 1865. Bridget Gallagher was schoolmistress here in 1831. A postal way office was established at Salmon River, Lake Settlement, in 1858. Lumbering and limited farming are the basic industries.
SAND POINT, Guysborough County1 This rural area is located on Red Head on the north side of the mouth of Chedabucto Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name may have been Amaltunik, "the sandy point." Sand Point is descriptive. The land was granted to Loyalists and disbanded soldiers in 1785, but later partly escheated. Settlement probably began before 1800. A small chapel, used by the Roman Catholics was built about 1815. Redmond Keating was schoolmaster here in 1831. In 1867 two new school-houses were built in section 39C and 390. The latter was burned down in 1878. A new school-house was erected in 1925. A postal way office was established in 1852. In 1851 the Eddy Point Lighthouse was constructed. Fishing and limited farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 57.
SEAL COVE, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located about a mile east of the mouth of Country Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably so named because seals were plentiful in the harbour. The Crooke family were early settlers, probably in the early decades of the 19th century. Fishing is the basic industry.
SEAL HARBOUR, Guysborough County1 This settlement is scattered along the east side of Isaacs Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably so named because seals were plentiful in the area. Gold was discovered in the Lower district about 1867-68 and in the Upper district in 1892, and this brought settlers into the two areas. A school-house was built in 1874. New schools were also built in 1921 and 1930. The most active gold mining years in the lower district were 1904-1907, and mining was still being carried on in 1941. In the upper district, considerable mining was done as late as 1908. In 1939-1942 the mines were reopened. Fishing and lumbering are the basic industries in the mid-20th century. Population in 1956 was 78. Gold production for the period of 1894 to 1949 for the lower district is reported3 to be 34,188.2 oz. and in the upper district for 1893 to 1958 was 57,845.7 oz.
SHERBROOKE, Guysborough County1 This village is located on the St. Mary's River about ten miles upstream from the mouth of the river on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named in honor of Sir John Cope Sherbrooke. A fortification named Fort Sainte Marie was established by La Giraudiere in the 1650's. It was captured by the English in 1669. James Fisher and his three sons, John, William and David. were among the first English settlers. James came to Nova Scotia from New Hampshire in 1761, lived at Truro, spent eight years at Musquodoboit, and moved to St. Mary's River in 1805. By 1818 there were two saw mills, a grist mill and about twenty houses in the village. A Presbyterian meeting house was built about 1832. St. James' Presbyterian Church was built about 1885. St. James' Anglican Church built in 1850, consecrated August 15, 1855. St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church built in Goldenville in 1871 was moved to Sherbrooke in 1907. St. John's United Church built about 1927 was dedicated November 13, 1927. William Bent was schoolmaster here in 1815. A schoolhouse was built soon after 1817. New school-houses were built about 1850 and about 1867. St. Mary's Rural High School was opened November 14, 1953. A post office was established about 1820. The new post office building was probably erected in the early 20th century. St. Mary's Memorial hospital was opened September 28, 1949. A new court-house was built in 1858. A jail was completed about 1827. A bridge over the St. Mary's River was opened in 1870. A ferry service was in operation over the West Branch of St. Mary's River until a wooden bridge was built in 1873. This was replaced by an iron bridge in 1883. Lumbering is the main industry. Scotia Lumber Company was begun by C. W. Anderson in 1906. The Marine Motel was put into operation in 1959. Population in 1956 was 324.
SHERBROOKE, Guysborough County2 Named after Sir John Coape Sherbrooke, Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia (1811-1816), Governor-General of Canada (1816-1818). Le Girandiere had a farming place and a small fort, afterwards a fishing and fur-trading station, at the head of Chedabucto Bay, now Sherbrooke; doubtful date, but previous to 1659.
SMITHFIELD, Guysborough County1 This rural area is located about four miles north west of the forks of the St. Mary's river in eastern Nova Scotia. It was named after the Smith family who settled in the area. Some of the grantees were: Thomas Glencross in 1812. John Tremain in 1814, Hugh Ross, Donald McLeod, and David Glencross in 1828 and John Mitchell and William Smith in 1829. A school-house was built before 1870. A postal way office was established in June, 1873, with J. W. Archibald as postmaster. Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
SONORA, Guysborough County1 This settlement is situated on the eastern side of St. Mary's Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably named after one of the Mexican states noted for gold production. In August, 1811, the village site and adjacent land was granted to James Martin, Elisha Pride, Aeceus Pride, and Robert Dixon. Elisha Pride had settled and made improvements on his land previous to his obtaining the grant. An Indian burial ground was also located in the area. A Baptist Church and a school-house were built before 1870. The Anglican Church of St. Mary's was consecrated September 22, 1932. In June, 1869, a postal way office was established with John Hewitt as postmaster. Fishing and limited farming are the basic industries Population in 1956 was 152.
SOUTH MERLAND, Guysborough County1 This is the southern part of an area which straddles the Antigonish-Guysborough County line west of Tracadie River in eastern Nova Scotia. In 1868, by act of the Legislature, the name of "Back Settlement Tracadie," Antigonish County was changed to "Merland." It is said this name was given in honor of Reverend James Merle. Merle is the Scottish name for a black bird. Most of the land was granted to John Chappell, a Halifax Shipwright in 1818 and to Philip Dumphy in 1862.
SPANISH SHIP BAY, Guysborough County1 This rural area is located on the north side of Liscomb Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It may have been so named because a Spanish ship went aground there or a nearby headland looks like a Spanish galleon. By February, 1818, Charles Pye was settled on the east side of Spanish Ship Head and had built a house. In October, 1814, two hundred and fifty acres of land were surveyed for Peter McConnel on the east side of the bay. He had made some improvements on the land by 1818. A school was built in 1901-1902. Fishing and limited farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 112.
ST. FRANCIS HARBOUR, Guysborough County1 This rural area is located at the mouth of Goose Harbour River, on the north shore of Chedabucto Bay, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The original name was Goose Harbour until it was changed by act of the Legislature in 1871 to St. Francis Harbour. The area was settled early in the 19th century by families named Hadley, Carr, Grady and Grant. A Roman Catholic Chapel was built prior to 1877. Edward Weeks was schoolmaster here in 1833. A new school-house was built in 1928. Fishing and farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 170.
ST. FRANCIS, Guysborough County2 Formerly known as "Goose Harbor" changed in 1871 to the present name.
ST. MARYS, Guysborough County2 One of the three Townships of Guysborough. Was formed into a township in 1818. The Indian name for the river was "Naboosakun," meaning "a bead string." It takes its present name from St. Mary's Bay.
ST. MARY'S RIVER, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located on the east side of the St. Mary's River about five miles from the mouth of the river on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It takes the name of the river on which it is located and which was named Riviere Sainte Marie by La Giraudiere when he came here frior to 1658. Champlain called the river Isle Verte because o the green island at its mouth. John, Samuel and David McKeen moved here from Truro in 1802 and were among the first persons to begin the settlement. Other early settlers were William and Robert Taylor. In 1818 the township of St. Mary's was formed with two hundred and forty-nine families resident in the area. St. John's Anglican Church was built in 1846 and consecrated August 15, 1855. In April, 1853, a meeting house was being completed for the first Baptist congregation of St. Mary's and a meeting house was being framed for the second church. In April 22, trustees were chosen for an English school at the "Mouth of the River" St. Mary's. A school-house was built at St. Mary's River in 1867. A new school was completed at St. Marys in 1887. A post office was established in 1820 with Hugh McDonald as postmaster. A postal way office was in operation at St. Mary's Bay Sherbrooke from 1836 to 1848. Fishing is the basic industry.
STEEP CREEK, Guysborough County1 This rural area is located on the west side of the Strait of Canso on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. Its name is descriptive, probably because a small stream in the area flows down a sharp incline to the strait. Edward McGuire received a grant of land here in 1817. By that time he had already purchased the neighbouring lot to the south. Another grantee was Richard Carter in 1822. Gregory Duggan was schoolmaster here in 1831. A schoolhouse was built in 1867. A postal way office was established in 1855. Steep Creek was the location of one of the ferries across the Strait of Canso in the early 19th century. Fishing and limited farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 103.
STILLWATER, Guysborough County1 This rural area is located on the St. Mary's River about three miles north of Sherbrooke Lakes, near the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name may have been Petawagumegek, "running through barrens." Stillwater is a descriptive name given to this part of the river before 1831 because it was less turbid than other parts of the river. The area was settled about 1810 by the McLean family from West River, Pictou County. William McLane [McLean] was schoolmaster here in 1846. A new school was erected in 1866. Farming is the basic industry. Population in 1956 was 52.
STORMONT, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located on the east side of Country Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after Lord Stormont who was Secretary of State, 1779-1782 and later Lord President of the Council in the United Kingdom. In December, 1783, members of the disbanded North Carolina Regiment arrived. They laid out the town which they named Stormont in June, 1784. In 1792 thirty families resided here and Matthew Gregg had been recommended for S. P. G. schoolmaster. An intense storm destroyed most of the old town in 1811 and by 1818 only two or three settlers remained. In 1839 Stormont Township was separated from St. Mary's i ownship and erected as a separate unit. An Anglican Church was built by Mrs. Goudge of Halifax, probably in the 1830's. A new school-house was opened in December, 1942. Lumbering is the basic industry.
STORMONT, Guysborough County2 This place was settled by parts of Carolina Regiments, in the year 1783. They built a small town and named it "Stormont." This name is also given to the Township.
SUNNYVILLE, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located just west of the town of Guysborough on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The name is descriptive and was given to the settlement before 1941. The original settlers were negro slaves who came with the Loyalist founders of Guysborough town in 1784. A Baptist Church was probably built in the early 20th century. Sunnyville Bible Centre, operated by the International Christian Mission of Kingston, N.S. was probably built in the early 1960's. In 1941 an old school possibly one hundred years old was torn down and replaced by a new building. Another new school was built about 1963. Lumbering is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 253; in 1964 it was 329, mostly negroes.
TICKLE RD (CANSO), Guysborough County1 The rural area is located about two miles west of the Town of Canso on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The name comes from the body of water between Durell Island and the mainland on which the village is located; a small strait known as a Tickle. Early variations were "Little" and "Tittle." The_ Indian name was Kamsokooch, "little place opposite cliffs." Settlement began about 1814. In January, 1824, it had "only of late become of consequence owing to increased population." A Baptist Meeting House, newly completed, was blown down during the great storm of August, 1873. In 1913 a new school was built at Hazel Hill for the use of the children at the Tickle. A fifty year old school burned down on February 6, 1944, and was replaced by a new building the following year. Fishing and limited farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 153.
TOMKINVILLE, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located about three miles west of the head of Chedabucto Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It may have been named after Rev. Dr. J. J. Tompkins, a Roman Catholic priest and educator who was stationed at Canso in the late 1920's, was active in social reform and adult education and died in May, 1953. The settlement probably began in the mid 19th century. Lumbering is the basic industry.
TORBAY, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located on Webber Cove on the west side of Tor Bay, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name for Torbay was Taboosimkak, "having two branches," or Tabooesimkek, "two in company picking berries." "Tor" is a Scottish word for rock or pinnacle. The bay was probably named after Tor Bay on the south east coast of England. This may have been the Savalette Harbour which Champlain named after a Basque ship master he found fishing here. In 1699 Villebon referred to the bay as Torbe. William and Richard Gammon were among the earliest settlers, having had land laid out to them in 1803. By November, 1816, they had three houses and three barns on the land and about thirty acres cleared. A new school-house was built in 1866. The Anglican Church of the Good Shepherd was consecrated August 3, 1905. A new Methodist Church was dedicated in March, 1923. A postal way office was in operation from 1864 to 1866. By 1877 a Post Office had been set up. A submarine telegraph cable was laid from Tor Bay to Rye Beach, New Hampshire in 1874, and in September, 1875, the cable to Europe was opened for service. The terminus was at Faraday Station, so named after the cable ship. Later the cable was relanded at Halifax, the station moved in 1887 and the Faraday station was abandoned. Fishing is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 83.
TOR BAY, Guysborough County2 Tor is Scottish for Rock or Pinnacle. This place was named by the early English mariners after Tor Bay on the south east coast of England. The Indian name was "Tabooesimkek," meaning "two in company picking berries." (This is where "Tabusintac, N. B.," gets its name.)
TRACADIE ROAD, Guysborough County1 This community stretches along the main highway between Guysborough and Tracadie north of Milford Haven, in eastern Nova Scotia, and is so named because it is on the road to Tracadie, or the Tracadie Road. From North to South, the lots were granted to Hibbert McPherson, Andrew Hall and James Hall in 1825; to John Phelan, John Reddy, Michael Keddy and Patrick Mahar and Matthew Heaton in 1829 and to Alvarus Atwater, two lots in 1828. The first three were settled on the land by 1824, having had surveys made during the term of Governor Dalhousie. The 1829 grantees settled on their land about the time that warrants of survey were issued in 1820. Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
TRAFALGAR, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located on the West River St. Mary's in the northwest corner of Guysborough County, in eastern Nova Scotia. Joseph Langley, a native of Virginia, and a veteran of the American Revolutionary War, resident in Nova Scotia since 1783, came here about 1810 and took charge of a house for the accommodation of travelers near the St. Mary's River Bridge. In February, 1813, he petitioned for a five hundred acre grant including the land on which he was settled. In June, 1813, he was forced to leave and live with relatives elsewhere since floods had destroyed his crops and the winter cold had killed his livestock. John Nelson Dunn arrived about 1855 and built a sawmill. On September 20, 1858 he received a 500 acre grant of land. He evidently dropped his last name and became John Nelson so that when the Earl of Mulgrave, Captain Chearnley, and other officers came from Halifax on a hunting expedition, they named the settlement "Trafalgar" because the chief proprietor of the hotel was a Nelson. On July 1, 1865, a Postal Way office was established at Trafalgar, Great Eastern Road, with John Nelson as postmaster. Lumbering is the basic industry in the area.
TRAFALGAR, Guysborough County2 Named after Cape Trafalgar in Spain or after the great British naval victory gained there in 1805.
UPPER BIG TRACADIE, Guysborough County1 This rural area is located on the Tracadie River south of the Antigonish-Guysborough County1 line in eastern Nova Scotia. "Tracadie" is an anglicized version of the Indian name Telagadik, "the inhabited place." The two harbours are named "Big" and "Little" Tracadie, and "Upper" means up the Tracadie River. Settlement was begun by Negro slaves who came with the Loyalists, 3000 acres of land were laid out for them and they took up residence about 1787-88. The area was also known as "Back lands of Big Tracadie." Thomas Brownspriggs was S.P.G. schoolmaster from 1788 to 1793. In 1852 the colored people of Tracadie had a school house and a meeting house which was out of repair. Schools were built in section 35 in 1870 and in section 33 in 1874, the latter was the first in the section. There was a Baptist church here in 1964. Lumbering is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 151. In 1964 there were 128 people in the area. Also see Wikipedia.
WATERNISH, Guysborough County1 This settlement is located on the St. Mary's River about five miles downstream from the forks of the river in eastern Nova Scotia. It was formerly part of Stillwater. The name is said to be that of the Scottish home town of the first Postmaster McKenzie, "Nish" is the Gaelic for here or place hence "water place." It may have been named after Waternish on the Isle of Skye. Settlement probably was begun in the early 19th century. In the 1870's the residents were people named Whidden, Mcintosh, McLean, Wier, Fraser, Taylor and McKenzie. Farming is the basic industry.
WATERNISH, Guysborough County2 This place was formerly part of Stillwater. The name is said to be that of the Scottish home town of the first Postmaster McKenzie, "Nish" is the Gaelic for here, or place, hence "water place."
WHITEHAVEN, Guysborough County2 Once called "Savalet" in honor of a Captain Savalet from St. Jean de Luz, who had a fishing place here and was found here by Poutrincourt on his voyage, (1604-1607. He had sixteen men in his employ, and claimed that this was his forty-second voyage to these parts from France. See WHITEHEAD
WHITEHEAD, Guysborough County1 The three settlements which make up this settlement are located on the west side of Whitehaven harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably so named because of the color of the rock formations at the entrance to the harbour. The lower settlement is also called "Lower Whitehaven." Some of the early settlers were: Moses Cohoon from Queens County in 1818, Thomas Munroe, John Munroe and Robert Spears from Shelburne in 1819 and William Demings from Shelburne and Mr. Coffin and Mr. Duff from Tusket in 1820. Holy Trinity Anglican Church was built in 1888 and consecrated November 15, 1894. The exterior of a Methodist Church was completed by August, 1881. A school was built about 1868. A new school was built in 1893. A school was built at Upper Whitehead in 1905. A postal way office was established in 1856. The lighthouse on Whitehead Island was erected in 1854. Fishing is the main industry. A wharf was constructed in 1875 and in the early 1950' s Tor Bay Canning Company built a processing plant at Whitehead. Population in 1956 was: Whitehead 98, Upper Whitehead 68, Lower Whitehaven, 125.
WINE HARBOR, Guysborough County2 The Indian name for this place was "Pulamkeegunucht," meaning "the fish spawning place" (Pulamoo is salmon). It is said to have received its present name because of a vessel having been wrecked there with a cargo of wine. Gold production for the period of 1862 to 1939 is reported3 to be 42,346.5 oz.
YANKEE HARBOUR, Guysborough County An rural settlement that is now abandoned that was on the east side of Whitehead Harbour at Yankee Cove. There appears to be people living here as early as 1861 and the school was still open in 1930. The main industry appears to fishing.
1: "Place Names of Place of Nova Scotia", Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1974
2: "Nova Scotia Place Names", Thomas J. Brown, 1922
3: "Wikipedia", www.wikipedia.org