HADLEYVILLE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the north side of the mouth of Chedabucto Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after the Hadley family who were prominent among the early settlers. The area was also known as '' Oyster Ponds'' because of oyster beds in tidal ponds. Joseph Hadley, Sr. a native of Rhode Island, settled in Manchester township about 1768. His son, Joseph Jr. was probably one of the earliest settlers here soon after 1811.Holy Trinity Anglican church was built sometime between 1866 and 1877 and was consecrated October 6, 1895.Maurice Newman was schoolmaster here in 1832. A new school was built at Oyster Pond in 1867.A postal way office was established in 1852. Fishing and farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 127.
HALF ISLAND COVE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the cove by the same name, on the south side of Chedabucto Bay, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably so named because of its location about half-way between Canso and Guysborough and because there is a small island in the cove. The name "Normanby" was given in the late 19th century but it did not persist. The Cove was also called "Shallop Cove" at one time. In June, 1794, Christian Muller received a grant of two hundred and fifty acres here but it is doubtful if he ever lived on it. William Bedford born in Guysborough in 1785 asked for land on which to settle at Half Island Cove and received a two hundred acre grant in March, 1815.The Baptist Church was probably built soon after 1904.John Digden [Digdon] was schoolmaster in 1834-35. A school was erected about 1877 and burned in March, 1878. ln 1883 a new school-house was provided. In 1902 a new school was built to replace one burned in June, 1901. Another new school was erected in 1946. John Diggdon [Digdon] was postmaster of the way office which was established in August, 1867.Fishing is the main industry. The population of "Halfway Island Cove" in 1956 was 193.
HALFWAY COVE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the south side of Chedabucto Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was so named because of its location about halfway up the bay. The land was part of the Guysborough township grant which was given to Nathan Hubbill and 278 others on June 2, 1785.A German chapel, later known as the Dutch Church, was built in the late 18th century. St. James' Anglican Church was built about 1815. The Anglican Church of St. Simon and St. Jude was built in 1851 and consecrated August 20, 1852. The second St. James Church was built sometime in the late 19th century. A third church was probably built about 1917, consecrated July 12, 1925.A school was established by January, 1828 in the joint district of Sandy Cove and Halfway Cove. A new school was opened about 1862.Fishing is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 136.
HARPELLVILLE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located near the mouth of the Indian River, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after the Harpell family who probably founded it. Luke Harpell received a hundred acre grant somewhat north west of the village site in 1874. An adjacent lot of one hundred acres was granted to Theodore Luke Harpell in 1919.A School-house was erected in 1925.Fishing and farming are the basic industries.
HAVENDALE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the south side of Milford Haven on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The name is descriptive of this meadowland beside the Haven. The land was granted to Colonel Archibald Montgomery in 1765 and divided up for veterans of the American War of Independence in 1784. The McDonald, Cunningham, Connolly and Cleary families were the residents in the 1780's.Farming is the main industry.
HAZEL HILL, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the north side of Hazel Lake, near Cape Canso, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably so named because of an abundance of this type of bush in the area. The name was applied prior to 1822. John Bell received a four-hundred and fifty acre grant here in April, 1812. In 1822, John Whitman and Benjamin Bears, along with others, natives of Canso for six to nine years, petitioned for grants of land in this area. The grants were made in February, 1824.In 1913 a new school was built here for the use of the children at the Tickle.In 1844 the Commercial Cable Company built its telegraph relay station here as the north American terminus of the trans Atlantic cables. This was the main industry until communication by satellite began to supersede the cables.Population in 1956 was 272.
HOLLAND HARBOUR, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the east side of Indian Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The name appears as "Rollin's Harbour" as early as 1818 and may have been given for an early settler. The name also may have evolved from Haul-in-Harbour because it was a good place to haul in for a rest during a trip down the coast. In 1818 it was '' a place of shelter for coasters and resorted to by fishermen.'' Three or four disreputable settlers had taken up residence.The first school-house was built for the 1888 school term. In 1894-95 there were about three settlers here but by 1924 they had departed and the place had become a sheep ranch.
HOPPENDERRY, Guysborough County1This settlement is located about three miles east of South River Lake in eastern Nova Scotia. The name is probably of Irish origin. Perhaps the original meaning was Hopin' derry, when the settlers were hoping to make a sizeable settlement. Angus Mcinnes, Angus and Hugh McPherson had license of occupation for lots here in 1869. In 1951 further license was granted to John Sullivan and John Callahan. McPhersons and Callahans were settled here before 1870.A new school-house was built in the previously unorganized section of "Obiderry" in 1889.Limited farming is the basic industry.
INDIAN HARBOUR LAKE, Guysborough County1This rural area is situated at the head of Indian Harbour Lake on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia, and takes its name from its location on the lake. Indian Harbour was so named because it was reputed to have been a favorite resort of the Indians. Settlement probably began in the area in the early 19th century.A school-house was erected here before 1872. Farming and fishing are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 73.
INDIAN HARBOUR LAKE3 is a Canadian rural community and lake of the same name located in Guysborough County Nova Scotia.It is nestled ten minutes outside of Sherbrooke (the seat of power for the District of St. Mary's), and 2.5 hours from the capital of Nova Scotia, Halifax. Seven lakes are located around Indian Harbour Lake, which are name Mitchell Lake, First Lake, Second Lake, Third Lake, Indian Harbour Lake, Monument Lake, and Archibald's Lake. Indian Harbour Lake is also located 5 minutes from the community of Port Hilford, which has a sand beach.The main source of employment for people in the area is primarily forestry and fishing, but there is a restaurant located in the community as well. Over the years Indian Harbour Lake have saw the majority of its young people move to larger urban centers like Halifax or moving out to work in the Alberta Tar Sands. Though a lot of people are not giving up on the community and are still waiting for an opportunity that will bring jobs to the area.There are two churches located in the community, an Anglican church and Pentecostal church. Both still in active service. A Community Hall,shared by Jordanville and Port Hilford, is located in Indian Harbour Lake. A baseball field use to be located in the community bu due to declining numbers and insurance issues it had to be tore down and replaced with a gravel pit.Indian Harbour Lakes primary resource is trees but it also has a vast abundance of fresh water (from many different springs) and there is a possibility of gold. The surrounding areas where major gold mining centers back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and so it is possible that Indian Harbour Lake has some gold reserves buried in the ground.
ISAAC'S HARBOUR, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the west side of Isaac's Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. Although it is said to have been named after Isaac Webb, a negro, who was sole inhabitant for many years prior to 1830, when white settlement began in the area, or after the son of an American seaman who visited about 1830, it was known as Isaac's Harbour as early as the 1760's.A United Baptist Church was built in 1856. The framework of a new church was put up and partly boarded in the summer of 1872 and it was decided to use the old church for a school-house. In August, 1873, the new building was blown down in a storm and rebuilding began in the summer of 1874. This building was dedicated October 14, 1877. A new Presbyterian Church was opened January 19, 1881.School was begun in December, 1852 by Henry Villiers in a new store belonging to John McMillan, there being no schoolhouse. In 1867 a new school-house was built in one section and a building was purchased for school purposes in another section. Another school was built in 1921.A postal way office was established in 1855.Gold was discovered in September, 1861, on the west side of the harbour by Joseph Hynes. Fishing is the major industry in the mid-20th century.Population in 1956 was: Isaac's Harbour 113, Isaac's Harbour North, 129.Gold production for the period of 1862 to 1958 is reported3 to be 39,694.3 oz.
JORDANVILLE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on third and fourth Indian Harbour Lakes, near the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after the Jordan (Jordain) family who probably founded it. An early grantee was John McLane in 1865. Members of the Jordan family received grants in 1897, 1904, and 1905.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
LARRY'S RIVER, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the west side of Tor Bay on the Eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after Larry Keating of Halifax who spent a winter in the area hunting moose. Settlement was probably begun soon after 1797 by Acadians from Chezzetcook. In May, 1797, Freeman Roie, Mannette Pettipas, and six others petitioned for land at New Harbour. In June 1805, 1900 acres of land were surveyed for Paul and John Beloni, Paulet and Peter Pelrain, Francis Carboni and Jacob Fougere. At that time there were two buildings on the west side of the river's mouth and the river was called North West River.St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church was built about 1874.It was blown down in August, 1963 and rebuilt soon after. A Convent was opened in 1955.A new school-house was erected in "Langs River", section 25 m 1878. A new four-room school was built at Larry's River in 1920.A postal way office was established May 1, 1869 with Joseph Fougere as postmaster.A sawmill was built in 1928, and a cooperative Lobster Factory in 1932. The Consumers Cooperative Cannery, fish processing plant and store were built soon after.Population in 1956 was 277.
LARRYS RIVER, Guysborough County2Settled about 1767 and named after an early Irish settler, Larry Keating.
Larrys River - TorBay Area Guysborough County WebsiteLarry's River, a post settlement in Guysborough Co., 13 miles from Molasses Harbor, fare 50 cts, it contains two stores, Can. express, pop 400. (from the 1892 McAlpine's Gazetteer and Guide for the Maritme Provinces)Larrys River and Lundy by M. Perle ConnollyAn Acadian coastal village situated on the eastern end of Guysborough County, Larrys River was named after one of its settlers, Larry Keating. Keating was a moose hunter who settled himself in a log cabin on the east bank of the river. Settlers arrived from Chezzetcook, probably soon after the official expulsion had ended in 1763.In 1797, Freeman Roi, Mannette and Petitpas, along with six others, petitioned for land- In 1805, several acres of land were surveyed for these Acadians with such names as Bonnevie, Fougere, Pelrine and Petitpas. At that time, there were to buildings on the west side of the river, then called the North West River.When Bishop Plessis of Quebec visited Larrys River and surrounding communities in 1815, he was so troubled by the poverty he saw he urged the Acadians to move elsewhere. The rocks and barren land made it impossible to cultivate in large portions, but there was an abundance of fish. The fish was a blessing to the settlers, reassuring them their settlement could prosper.
About 1872, St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church was built and first used in 1873. A gale hit the area in August of that year and swept the -church off its foundation, but the people of the area rebuilt it and the church re-opened in 1874. Rev. Francois Broussard was Its first pastor. Father Broussard also ministered a mission at Charlos Cove. St. Joseph's Church, which was built soon after. Before this. the Acadians were served by St. Ann's Church, Guysborough (1819) and St. Joseph's in Port Felix (1851).Today in Larrys River the parish glebe is located across the road from St. Peter's Parish. The current pastor lives in the glebe house and s serves the mission of St. Josephs, Charlos Cove and St. Josephs Church at Port Felix. A stroll through the graveyard next to the church reveals headstones of most French Acadian names. In this graveyard is a monument of St. Peter, the Acadian patron saint. The parish hall is another landmark on the opposite side of the church. The hall hosts the annual Acadian lobster dinner and picnic, a fundraiser for the parish.A postal way office was established and opened on May 1, 1869. Joseph Fougere was the first postmaster. Today, the post office still remains, but In a modern brick building.In 1878, the community built a schoolhouse, which was replaced in 1920 with a larger four-room school.Mount Carmel Convent is another landmark in the area, which opened on the feast day of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, July 15, 1955. The sisters of the congregation of Notre Dame taught at the elementary and junior high schoo! in both communities.The schools closed in 1960 and the sisters remained, still active today in many parish activities.Rev Douglas J. Murphy, son of John and Clara (Pellerin) Murphy, was ordained to the priesthood in 1960 and still serves the diocese today. Most recently, November 12, Larrys River native Rev. Leo Richard was ordained a priest. A son of Thomas F and Deannie (Pelrine) Richard, Father Richard serves in Yarmouth County.A swinging bridge that joined the east to the west side of the river was built in the early 1920s. The bridge consisted of two steel towers, and was built high enough to allow sailing ships to go upriver. Taken down in the 1940s and replaced with a three-foot wide footbridge. The steel towers were taken down in the 1960s. Villagers still use the footbridge.Rev. Charles J. Forest was resident pastor from 1918-1953. Along with his fellow parishioners, formed a consumer co-operative and a sawmill in 1928; and in 1932, the Tor Bay Canners and a fish processing plant was constructed. The co-op store and credit union was built in 1933.Fishing was the main occupation, but these hardy Acadians supplemented their income with blueberry picking and processing. In 1946, residents picked some 20,000 gallons of blueberries, and processed them into 4,000 cases for the market. The pickers realized $12,000 for their work. Father Forest became a pioneer In the co-op activities.
Lundy is a small settlement eight miles from Larrys River, on the west side of Donahue Lake. Settled by Acadians who moved from Larrys River because fuel for their stoves was abundant. Lundy was named after an early settler, and was also called the Junction and Lundy Junction, In the mid 1870s, the only building was Joseph Girroir's Halfway House, a stopover or resting place for travelers who frequently walked or traveled by boat. The Girroir family was the only family listed on the Junction Road at that time. A school building was completed in 1915.Lundy is nestled in dense woods, surrounded by lakes, streams and ponds. When it was founded, lumbering was the main industry. Today Lundy has a population of 18 families and its residents are served by St. Peter's Church, Larrys River.In the 1870s the village of Larrys River had such family names as Avery, Bonnevie, Delorey, Fougere, Girroir, Levangie. Mannette, Pellerine and Petitpas and most of the family names still live In the area.In Lundy, visitors will find families of Avery, Girroir and Petitpas All these families can trace their ancestry back to Chezzetcook, from where they came after the expulsion of 1755.Also see: The Acadians Of Tor Bay, Guysborough County
LESTERDALE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the south side of Milford Haven, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. "Dale" is descriptive. "Lester" is of uncertain origin, "possibly given for a resident. The land was part of a grant made to Col. Archibald Montgomery in 1765 and divided up for veterans of the American War of Independence in 1784. By the 1870's the shore of the Haven was thickly settled, mostly by people with Scottish names.Farming is the main industry.
LINCOLNVILLE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the south side of Shepherd Lake in eastern Nova Scotia. It may have been named after President Abraham Lincoln who freed the American Negro slaves. Settlement was begun by descendants of Negro slaves who came to Guysborough with the Loyalists in 1784.A school-house located here burned down in 1890 and a new one was not built until 1931. A new school was built about 1964.Lumbering is the main industry. Population in 1964 was 191, all Negro.
History of Blacks in Lincolnville by Hugh Clarke History of Lincolnville, settled by free Black slaves in 1784. Settlers living in Lincolnville could obtain land from the county with the stipulation that they clear the land. Lincolnville was among the first Black settlements in Nova Scotia. The first settlers included; Reddicks, Ashes, Bordens, Desmonds, and Johnson. Some of the early records have shown Lincolnville maintaining forty families, now there are about twenty-five. The people have re-located because of the economy and the lack of employment. Lincolnville received its name in the early 1800’s in honor of president Abraham Lincolnville who freed the slaves. before the name Lincolnville was issued, the community was called Guysborough road covered a large section. The first road in Lincolnville was merely a footpath, in 1937, the actual construction of a gravel road was formed. The inhabitants of Lincolnville, still not satisfied with the traveling conditions; petitioned to receive pavement on these graveled roads. In 1939, the road was paved. The first school in Lincolnville were actually the homes of the community members. In 1941 the first school was constructed .The school was one room and consisted of a stove in the center of the floor. This stove provided energy to heat the entire room. The school educated children from grade primary to grade eight. The class consisted of approximately fifty students. The teachers could not give the students the help they wanted and needed. In 1964, a new school was constructed, it consisted of five classes with primary to six, the classes were smaller in number and the students had a better education. The elementary school was first named Guysborough Road Consolidated School, but since September 1973, the school is now named the Mary E. Cornish Memorial School. The Guysborough Road Consolidated School consisted of grades primary to six. Future grades were transferred to Guysborough Municipal High School where they furthered their education. The home of Mrs. Gussie Ash served as a Post Office to the community, the mail was delivered to her from Heatherton. Now the mail is delivered by rural route. The Lincolnville community today is one which shows the progress that can be achieved in a Black community. In recent times the community has acquired a small confectionary store and an auto body shop. Under way is a fire hall and plans for a new community center.
LISCOMB, Guysborough County1This settlement is situated on the north side of Liscomb Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name for the harbour was Meadawik, "Where the big eels are taken." The harbour and village are said to be named after Liscomb House, Tudor Mansion, Buckinghamshire, England. An alternate name for Little Liscomb was Houlton in 1877. The harbour was also called Amelia Harbour for a time in the late 18th century. Two thousand acres were granted to William Spry in November, 1765. By March, 1790 the largest island in the harbour, presumably the present Liscomb Island, had been long granted and settled. In 1818 , three families of fishermen were settled here and one family lived on "Shag Ledge" at the entrance of Gegogan Harbour.St. Luke's Anglican Church was built in 1857-58, consecrated on August 10, 1863. A Methodist Church was dedicated January 30, 1898. It was dismantled and a new United Church was dedicated September 29, 1946. James Eden was schoolmaster at Little Liscomb in 1846. A new school-house was erected at Lower Liscomb in 1876. A school was built at Middle Liscomb in 1905. Another new school was begun at West Liscomb in 1918, completed about 1924. At Liscomb Mills a school was built about 1874. Another school was built about 1901, occupied in 1902. Population scattered when the Dickie Lumber Mills shut down about 1908, but in 1921 a school was built and on September 5, 1937, a new school was officially opened. A new school-house was built at Liscomb in 1931 to replace a building that burned down.A postal way office was established at Liscomb in 1863.
Lumbering and fishing are the main industries.Population in 1956 was: Liscomb 100, Little Liscomb 90, West Liscomb 55.
LISCOMB HARBOR, Guysborough County2So named as far back as 1717. The Indian name for this place was *'Megadawik" meaning "splendid eeling place." The Malisceet Indians called it "Magaguadavic." The harbor and village are said to be named after Liscomb House, Tudor Mansion, Buckinghamshire.
LITTLE DOVER, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the west side of Dover Bay, near Cape Canso, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably named after Dover, England. In August 1824, 200 acres were surveyed for Abigail Salt and the heirs of the late John Salt. By the 1870's about sixteen families were settled. Grants of land at the site were made to Charles and Dominick Richard and James Horn in 1890, to James Reynolds in 1904 and to Duffield and Joseph Boudrot in 1905.St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church was built in 1908.A new school house the first in the village was opened in 1883. It was burned down in 1893 and replaced by a new building in 1894. A new school was built in 1946.Fishing is the main industry. During the 1930's a Co-operative Lobster Canning factory and a Co-operative fish processing plant were built.Population in 1956 was 434.
LUNDY, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the west side of Donahue Lake, about six miles south of the head of Chedabucto Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably named after an early settler and was also called "the Junction" and "Lundy Junction." The Gerrior family settled here early. In the 1870's the only building was Joseph Gerrior's Halfway House. Around the turn of the century a few Grench families moved here from Larry's River because fuel for there stoves was abundant. A school building was completed in 1915.Lumbering is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 64.
Lundy History - by M. Perle ConnollyLundy is a small settlement eight miles from Larrys River, on the west side of Donahue Lake. Settled by Acadians who moved from Larry's River because fuel for their stoves was abundant. Lundy was named after an early settler, and was also called the Junction and Lundy Junction, In the mid 1870s, the only building was Joseph Girroir's Halfway House, a stopover or resting place for travelers who frequently walked or traveled by boat. The Girroir family was the only family listed on the Junction Road at that time. A school building was completed in 1915.Lundy is nestled in dense woods, surrounded by lakes, streams and ponds. When it was founded, lumbering was the main industry. Today Lundy has a population of 18 families and its residents are served by St. Peter's Church, Larry's River.In Lundy, visitors will find families of Avery, Girroir and Petitpas.All these families can trace their ancestry back to Chezzetcook, from where they came after the expulsion of 1755.
1: "Place Names of Place of Nova Scotia", Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1974
2: "Nova Scotia Place Names", Thomas J. Brown, 1922
3: "Wikipedia", www.wikipedia.org