DENVER, Guysborough County1 This rural area is situated on the East River St. Mary's about two miles east of Mitchell Lake. It may have been named after Denver, Colorado. Most of the land was granted to Loyalists by the names Perkins, Almond and Hutchison in 1803. These people may have been settled in this area as early as the 1780's. The village had a community hall by 1947 and this was used for school purposes when the Newton school burned in April, 1947. Farming and lumbering are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 53.
DORTS COVE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the south side of the mouth of the Salmon River on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named for the Dort family who were early settlers. Another name was "Sandy Cove." Valentine Dortt was one of the company of disbanded troops who received the Guysborough township grant in June, 1785.John Digdon was schoolmaster at Sandy Cove in 1831. A school-house was built at Sandy Cove in 1870, but it was destroyed by fire in 1896 and a new school was erected by July, 1898. The Anglican Church of St. Michael and All Angels was consecrated September 29, 1960.Fishing is the basic industry. Population in 1956 was 60.
DRUM HEAD, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the east side of the mouth of Country Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was probably so named because of a headland which had a drum like appearance when seen from the sea. Settlement probably began in the early 19th century. In the 1870' s the principal settlers were the Burk, Fanning and Howlett families. In 1871 Peter Ross attempted to escheat an old grant given to Major Wright. This escheat was not completed until a vesting order was drawn up on June 2, 1881. A plan was made in 1877 showing a division of five lots.The Saladin was wrecked on the south side Harbour Island on May 21, 1844, after the men mutinied and murdered the ship's officers.Fishing is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 179.
DURELL ISLAND, Guysborough County1This island is located just north of Canso town on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after Captain Thomas Durell, who made a survey of the Canso area in 1732, and whose name appears as the name of the island on that survey. There was no settlement in the 1760' s although fishermen probably used the shores of the island for drying fish and mending nets. In 1810, Abraham Whitman of Chester petitioned for a grant of the island on which he promised to settle and prosecute the fishing industry. The grant was made the same year. In the 1870' s the resident families were the Cahoons, Kirbys, Swains, Carrs and Bryans.Fishing is the main industry.
ECUM SECUM, Halifax County1This settlement is located around Ecum Secum Inlet about twenty miles north-east of Sheet Harbour. The Indian name was Agwasaagunk or Megwasaagunk, "a red house" or "a red bank." The origin of the name "Ecum Secum" is certain. An 1809 variation was "Ekemsagen." An 1813 variation was "Ekemsikam," and by 1845, "Ecum Secum" was the spelling used. John Jure [Jewers]. An Englishman, had been a settler in this area as early as 1780 or 1790. Four families were living here in 1827, Henry Pye, and George, Francis and Robert Jewers, all engaged in the fisheries.St. Barnabas Anglican Church, opened on December 21, 1887, was consecrated on May 12, 1889. St. Paul's Anglican Church at West Ecum Secum was consecrated on September 15, 1903. A Baptist church was built about 1877 but it was sold by 1930.A school-house was built here in 1876. In 1928 a new school was built to replace the old building which had been blown down. The Ecum Secum Memorial School was built in 1947.A Postal Way Office was established on September 1, 1873, with David Fraser as Postmaster.Gold was discovered here in 1868, but mining was not carried on to any considerable extent until the 1880' s. Ira Foster of Mill Bridge, Maine, operated a lobster processing factory here in 1883. Fishing and farming are the basic industries.The population in 1956 was: Ecum Secum 253, Ecum Secum West 195.
EIGHT ISLAND LAKE, Guysborough County1 This rural area is situated on the north side of Eight Island Lake, on the upper Country Harbour River, in Eastern Nova Scotia. The village and lake were probably so named because there were eight prominent islands in the lake. Early settlers were: James Pringle about 1817 and Martin Wall, about 1820. In 1865 two school-houses were built in Goshen district. One of them was probably built here. The school-house burned down in March, 1935, and a new building was immediately erected to replace it. Farming and lumbering are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 60.
ERINVILLE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the upper Salmon River, west d the head of Chedabucto Bay, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. This name was given to the settlement by early Irish residents. Early names were "Salmon River" and "North West Branch Settlement." "Bantry" was the name given to the settlement formed on the south side of the river which is no longer in existence.Most of the land was granted to Robert and Thomas Cutler of Guysborough in 1813 and to Duncan McColl and George Mitchell. Halifax merchants in 1817. In October. 1828. E. Kelly. James Sullivan and a Mr. Fitzgerald were settled at "North West Branch settlement" on the west side of the river.A log chapel was built at Bantry sometime between 1824 and 1836.A log school-house was built about 1863. A new school was put into service in September, 1932.A postal way office was established August 1, 1867, with Charles Trenney [Kenny] as postmaster.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was Erinville East 98.
ERINVILLE, Guysborough County2So named by lovers of Ireland who settled in this district.
SETTLEMENT OF ERINVILLE AND SALMON RIVER LAKES by A.C. Jost, Guysboro IV (written In The Early 1900s) The first family settling in Erinville was that of Colin Porter. He was of Lowland Scotch descent, a weaver by trade. He settled on what is yet called Porter's river, on land owned by a Mitchell, having been sent by Mitchell to settle according to the provisions of Mitchell's grant. Thos Porter of Roachville is a descendant of this family. There was a son, Robert, who attained a local celebrity by reason of his ability to write poetry, in which he hit off the happenings of the settlement. About the same time, a Robert Kenny from the north of Ireland, and a McLaren from Scotland came, settling in the same vicinity, McLaren's farm being at the present bridge over the river at Erinville (Pat Walsh's). McLaren shortly died, and his place was taken by a Gallagher, the ancestor of the Gallaghers who at present live in Erinville, and who in former times lived in Guysboro and Isaac's Harbour. Nelson, of Swedish descent was the next family, and settled on a thousand acre block which had been granted to some of the Scotts. His farm was placed about where the present Chisholms are, at the head of the Lake. Henry Mansfield came about the next in order, with him or very shortly after coming his son-in-law, MacKinnon, father of the present William and Patrick MacKinnon. They settled on the farm at present occupied by the MacKinnons. Mansfield is said to have come here from Newfoundland, having come to that place from Kerry, Ireland. The reports he sent home of the number of acres to be had for little more than the asking, resulted in other members of the family, his daughter and her husband joining him in his new location. A John Keefe was about the next in order, settling on the farm now occupied by Ed Doyle. No descendants of this family now live in the County. James Sullivan, members of whose family now live in Erinville, Salmon River and Roman Valley was the next arrival, and he was followed by a Kennedy, father of Kennedy the Mason. These made quite a showing in the settlement, and were the founders of the community. Those of Irish descent for the most part, arrived here after a short time spent in Newfoundland. Brought out to Newfoundland to help in the fishery, they spent on an average two summers and a winter in that work, by which time, tiring of the work, or objecting to the severity of the labour they were called on to do, they left Newfoundland to seek homes elsewhere. Their arrival here did not take place at the same time, but usually in families, singly or in twos. There is said to have been no arrival of any party at the same time.
FISHER MILLS, Guysborough County1This location is about a mile south of Two Mile Lake near East River St. Mary's in eastern Nova Scotia. It was probably named after David and William Fisher who received grants of two lots of 330 and 520 acres on October 1, 1829.Lumbering is the basic industry. In the early 19th century the Fishers built saw mills and grist mills on the stream.
FISHERMAN'S HARBOUR, Guysborough County1This rural area is located about three miles west of the mouth of Country Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. Its name is descriptive. Samuel Hunt a Loyalist received a two hundred acre grant here in 1784. At that time the harbour was also called Port Montague, a name probably given by Frederick DesBarres. In 1834, four families, consisting of twenty-six people, chiefly of English descent lived here.A school-house, the first in the section, was built in 1882, A new school was built in 1950. A Post Office was established in April, 1893.Fishing is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 63.
FOREST HILL, Guysborough County1This is the site of a gold mining village located about a mile north east of Archibald Lake, north east of Country Harbour, in eastern Nova Scotia. The name is descriptive. Gold was discovered by Samuel D. Hudson in June, 1893. By 1896 the mining town had been carved out of the wilderness. There were three gold stamp-mills, two or three stores, a school-house, and a population of 200 or 300. Mining operations hit a period of idleness after the first five or six years, then picked up again in 1907 to 1909 when new leads were developed. Mining was carried on again in 1939 to 1942, but by 1950 the village was without inhabitants. Gold production for the period of 1895 to 1957 is reported3 to be 25,102.4 oz.
FOX ISLAND, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the south side of Fox Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name for Fox Island was Sebelogwokun, "where skins are stretched," or Wokwiswamunegoo, "Fox Island." The name is a shortened form of "Fox Island-mainland." The mainland was once called Waterloo on account of the vast numbers of the slain fish after an encounter. John Newton received licence of occupation for Fox Island and five hundred acres on the mainland, in 1790 which he used in the fishing industry. Patrick Lanigan received a grant here in July, 1816.There was a Roman Catholic Chapel near here in 1828.A school-house was erected in Black Point section in 1876.This was one of the most celebrated fishing grounds in the county in the 1870's. In the mid-20th century it had become a place for summer cottages and the residents were summer visitors and fishermen.Population in 1956 was 85.
FOX ISLAND, Guysborough County2An Island in the Gut of Canso. The Indian name was "Sebelogwokum," meaning "where skins are stretched" or "the drying place."
GIANT PORTER RIVER, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the Porter River in eastern Nova Scotia. The name is a combination of Giant Lake, named after the giant, Duncan McDonald, and Porter River, which was probably named after an early settler. Settlement was begun in the early or mid-19th century by Mcisaacs, McLeans, and McDonalds. Alexander McNeil was an occupant of one of the lots in 1869.A school-house was built before 1871.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
GIANT LAKE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located on the south side of the lake of the same name, about four miles south east of the Antigonish Guysborough County line, in eastern Nova Scotia. It was so named after Duncan McDonald who was called the "giant" because of his size and feats of strength. He discovered the lake in 1840 and guided the first settlers there in 1843. They were: Angus Duncan, Angus McDonald, John McNeil, Ronald, Donald and Angus McIsaac mostly from Inverness, Scotland. By 1857 there were nine families resident.St. Francis De Sales Roman Catholic Church was built by Thomas O'Neil, probably in the early 20th century. A school was built in 1867. A post office was opened in 1895 with John McLean. Postmaster. By 1965 rural free delivery had been established.Lumbering and limited farming are the basic industries. Population in 1956 was 89.
GLENCOE, Guysborough County1This settlement is located about half-way between the upper Salmon River and the upper Guysborough River in eastern Nova Scotia. In 1875, by Act of the Legislature, the area including the rear of Roman Valley Settlement, the rear of Salmon River Lakes, the road from Salmon River Lakes to Roman Valley and McDonald Settlement was named "Glencoe," possibly after a place in Argyleshire, Scotland, where a massacre occurred in 1692. Before this it was known as "Back Settlement of Roman Valley." John and James Bray and Michael Mahar all received a hundred acre grant here in 1867, but they were residents at the time. In 1901, John P. Farrell received a hundred and ten acre grant here.A school was built in 1879. A new school was begun in 1915 and by 1917 "halting progress" was being made in its construction.Lumbering is the basic industry.
GLENELG, Guysborough County1This settlement is located near the forks of St. Mary's River in eastern Nova Scotia. It may have been named after Charles Grant, Lord Glenelg, who was British Secretary of State to the Colonies, 1834-39. An early name was "The Forks" or "Forks, St. Mary's." The Indian name was Mimnogun, "a black birch tree." Settlement began in 1801 on land which was part of a one hundred and fifty thousand acre grant made to Rev. James Lyons and seven others in 1765. Robert, William and Archibald Taylor, David and John McKeen from Truro were among the first residents. William Kirk moved from Pictou in 1810.A Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1818. A new Presbyterian Church was opened July 26, 1845. William Bent arrived from New England and opened a school. Thomas Kerr was schoolmaster in 1846. A school-house was built in 1867. A Way Office was established in 1851 and a Post Office in 1858.Lumbering is the main industry. Population in 1956 was 101.
GLEN-ELG, Guysborough County2No doubt in honor of Lord Glenelg, who was the Colonial Secretary in 1837 ;" but there is a place of this name in Scotland, after which it may have been named. This place was first settled in 1801 and was then named St. Mary's.
GLENKEEN, Guysborough County1This community is located on the east side of Guysborough Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It possibly took the name of the estate of the Honorable John J. Marshall who was Conservative member of the Legislative Assembly for Guysborough, 1840-47, 1848-59, 1867-70, Speaker, 1868-70 and Financial Secretary, 1857-60, and who died in 1870. The land was part of Manchester Township which was settled by Loyalists in 1784.Fishing and farming are the basic industries.
GOLDBORO, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the east side of Isaacs Harbour on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was called East Isaacs Harbour until the name was changed to Goldboro by Act of the Legislature in 1898. The discovery of gold in 1861 was the reason for the name change. Simeon Giffin from Lewis Head, Shelburne County, was one of the first settlers here in April, 1833.The United Baptist Church, completed in the autumn of 1902, was dedicated August 27, 1905.A school-house was built in 1854 on Richardsons Point.About five years later a frame school was built. This was superseded in 1867 by a new frame school, which burned down twenty years later. The fourth school was built the same year the old one burned. A new four-room school was opened on February 15, 1904.A postal way office was established March 1, 1874, with David Buckley as postmaster.In 1899 an Odd Fellows Hall was built.Gold mining waned after the beginning of World War I.It revived somewhat from 1930 to 1942 and was then more or less abandoned. Fishing is the main industry.Population in 1956 was 177.
GOLDENVILLE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located on the west side of the St. Mary's River, opposite Sherbrooke, on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was so named because gold was discovered and mined here.Nelson Nickerson found gold in August, 1861 and Zeba Hewitt built one of the first houses in the village that fall. By July, 1862, several houses had been erected and mining was begun. Two wharves were built the following spring and a road was constructed to the diggings. In 1867 the Templars erected a hall which was also used as a church. An Orange Lodge Hall was built in 1869 and the lower part was used as a schoolroom. A Masonic Lodge Hall was also built in 1869. A Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1871 and it was moved to Sherbrooke in 1907. A new Presbyterian church was opened January 12, 1902.About 1888 the gold mining industry slumped. Mines were abandoned, houses were pulled down and the Masonic hall became a ruin. About 1896 new leads were discovered and mining boomed for a few years. In 1906 little work was done. The mines were worked somewhat during the second World War but were abandoned in 1942. A new two-room school was built in 1939.Farming and lumbering have become the basic industries.Population in 1956 was 85. Gold production for the period of 1862 to 1941 is reported3 to be 209,383.3 oz., the best producer in Nova Scotia.
GOSHEN, Guysborough County1This rural area is located about two miles southwest of South River Lake, near the Antigonish-Guysborough county line in eastern Nova Scotia. It was so named after the Goshen society which was formed for the purpose of sending one of its members to Halifax twice a year to bring back supplies much as did the sons of Jacob who went to Egypt to buy corn, in the Bible story. Five members of the Shaw family of Annapolis petitioned for land in Annapolis county in July, 1815 and received grants here in 1816. John, Donald, Robert and Alexander Sinclair, natives of the Country Harbour Lake area, petitioned for land in 1819, and received the present site as a grant in 1830.New school-houses were built in 1865 and 1902. A new consolidated elementary school was opened in June, 1961.The basic industries are farming and milling. Population in 1956 was 186.
GOSCHEN, Guysborough Country2Named after the pastoral city of Biblical fame, which was situated in Egypt. This name also appears, or did appear, as the name for settlements in Antigonish, Hants and Colchester Counties.
GREAT LAKE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located near the head of Eight Island Lake in eastern Nova Scotia. It was probably named so because of its nearness to the large Eight Island Lake. The land was granted to Charles Archibald of Truro and John Mason of Country Harbour in 1821.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
GROSVENOR, Guysborough County1This settlement is located about a mile north west of Summers Lake, west of the strait of Canso, in eastern Nova Scotia. It was perhaps named after Robert Grosvenor, a lord of the Admiralty or Field Marshal Thomas Grosvenor. Lots of land were granted to: Robert and Thomas Kenny and John Tote in 1828; Peter and James Somers, Thomas Smith and Michael Flinn in 1829 and Daniel McKeough and John Wheaton in 1831. Some of these people probably settled soon after the grants were made.A postal way office was established July 1, 1871, with Samuel O'Neil as postmaster.Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
GROSVENOR, Guysborough County2Said to have been named by a. Mr. J. B Hadley of Mulgrave. Was first settled by families named Kennys and Tait (before 1800). Probably named after the Lord of that name or after Grosvenor Square.
Strait of Canso is located in Nova Scotia3The Strait of Canso (also Gut of Canso or Canso Strait, also called Straits of Canceau or Canseaux until the early 20th century), is a strait located in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. It divides the Nova Scotia peninsula from Cape Breton Island.It is a long thin channel approximately 27 kilometres long and averaging 3 kilometers wide (1 km at its narrowest). The strait connects Chedabucto Bay on the Atlantic Ocean to St. George's Bay on the Northumberland Strait, a sub basin of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.The strait is extremely deep (200+ feet) with two major communities at Port Hawkesbury on the eastern side facing Mulgrave on the western side, both ports. The strait is crossed by the Canso Causeway for vehicular and rail traffic, opened in 1955. The Canso Canal allows ships to pass through the causeway, and this can accommodate any vessel capable of transiting the St. Lawrence Seaway.An account of early settlement in the area is given in the letters of local resident Henry Nicholas Paint (1830-1921), Member of Parliament for Richmond county and merchant, whose father Nicholas secured valuable land grants and settled in a stone-built house at Belle Vue in 1817. Port Hawkesbury, at first known as Ship harbour, emerged as a shipbuilding and boatbuilding port on the Strait in the 19th century with firms such as H.W. Embree and Sons producing distinctive fishing boats that came to be known as "Canso Boats" after the Strait. Also see MELFORD
GUYSBOROUGH, Guysborough County1This large village is situated on the western side of the mouth of Guysborough Harbour at the head of Chedabucto Bay on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name was Sedabocktook, "a bay running far back" or "the deep extending harbour." Nicolas Denys took this name and applied it to the settlement. The detachment of disbanded troops who arrived here in June, 1784, named their town "Guysborough" in honour of Sir Guy Carleton, the commander-in-chief of British forces in North America.Nicolas Denys established his fishing station here about 1659 and he had one hundred and twenty men at work on the settlement when it was attacked and destroyed by La Giraudiere in 1667. In the early 1680' s Bergier established his Fort Saint Louis here. In 1685 it consisted of two large buildings, defended by four cannon, and housing thirty-three persons with provisions for a year. There was also a chapel for which an improvement fund of 1500 livres had been allotted. This fort was captured by Sir William Phips in 1690.Nine families of settlers took up residence in the Cooks Cove area, possibly as early as 1768. They were: John and Elias Cook, Robert and Diana Callahan, Nathaniel Toby, Godfrey Peart, John Ingersoll, John Godfrey and Isiaah Horton. These people welcomed the regiments of disbanded troops who arrived here in June, 1784, after an unsuccessful attempt at making a settlement at Port Mouton. They laid out the town of Guysborough in 1790.The Anglican Christ Church was completed in 1790 and blown down in a fierce gale in 1811. The frame of the new church was erected in August, 1812, and the Church was consecrated Sept. 16, 1826. The third Church on the site was built in 1877-78.A Baptist meeting house was begun about 1848 and was in use by January, 1850. A new Church was begun in 1900, dedicated October 26, 1902. A Roman Catholic Church was begun about 1819. It was replaced by a new Church in 1873. A Methodist Church was dedicated November 1, 1829. A new Methodist Church was opened and dedicated August 28, 1859. The Kent Church used by the Presbyterians was built about 1837 to 1840 and was purchased in 1859 by the Sons of Temperance who named it Chedabucto Hall.A Grammar school was established November 4, 1811, and a school-house was built by March, 1814. Guysborough Academy was conducted by Alexander S. Reid in the town hall after 1843. In 1866 a new three room Academy building was completed and opened. Guysborough County Municipal High School was opened May 17, 1961. In 1876 a schoolroom for the Methodist Sabbath School was erected on the site of the first Wesleyan Church.A courthouse was erected near the head of Mullers Cove soon after 1790. A new courthouse and jail was completed early in 1843 and the old building was sold at auction on June 19. The lower floor was demolished and the upper floor was moved and transformed into a town hall where the Academy was quartered for sometime. This was purchased by the Chedabucto Greys for a drill room in 1860.A postal way office was established in 1825, and a post office was established in 1841. R. M. Cutler was one of the first postmasters.A lighthouse on the mainland at the harbour's mouth was built in 1842-43. A lighthouse at Guysborough Harbour burned September 11, 1904.
McIsaacs Hall was built by the Roman Catholic Congregation in 1932.
The Red Cross Outpost Hospital was established in September, 1929, and incorporated in 1946. On November 5, 1949, the Memorial Red Cross Hospital was opened.The disbanded troops who came in 1784 erected houses and settled on the town plot but most of the houses were destroyed by a fire that got out of control. They rebuilt, however, and remained until the government allowance ceased, then the town was largely deserted except for a few merchants until about the second decade of the 19th century. The great gale of October, 1811, destroyed several ships and considerably damaged the settlement. A storm in 1873 damaged five ships, destroyed all wharves and damaged the Methodist Church as well as several bridges. During the War of 1812, the old French fort was refurbished for the protection of the settlement.Fishing and the processing of sea products are the main industries.The population in 1956 was 430.
GUYSBOROUGH, Guysborough County2First named "Chedabucto," when Sir Nicholas Deny located a fishing station there about 1635. Named in honor of Sir Guy Carleton (See Guysborough Township, Queens County). Sir Guy was first Baron Dorchester; at one time Governor of Canada; was a Loyalist leader and a great promoter of Loyalist settlements in Nova Scotia.This County was named Sydney when St. Mary's Township was formed in 1818. The Townships are Guysborough, St Mary's and Manchester. The County contains 1656 square miles and was formed in 1836.
GUYSBOROUGH INTERVALE, Guysborough County1This rural area is located at the head of Milford Haven on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. It was so named because the area is made up of low intervale land. Settlement was begun by members of the disbanded 71st Regiment from the American Revolutionary War who received allotments of land here in June, 1785. They found traces of a previous French settlement, including remains of houses, a ship yard and a forge.St. James' Anglican Church was built in 1850 and consecrated August 19, 1852. In 1832 a Roman Catholic Chapel was built. This was replaced by a new Church in 1853. A Methodist chapel was begun in 1831 but was never finished. The frame of a new Church was erected by September, 1852. A new Methodist Church at Intervale was completed and opened in June, 1879.A school was established about 1826 and a school-house was built by 1830.A postal way office was established in 1855. Farming is the basic industry.Population in 1956 was: Guysborough Intervale, 84, North Intervale, 52.
1: "Place Names of Place of Nova Scotia", Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1974
2: "Nova Scotia Place Names", Thomas J. Brown, 1922
3: "Wikipedia", www.wikipedia.org